Dear Community Partner:
I would like to invite you and your colleagues to consider a rewarding volunteer opportunity in Morgan County. This opportunity provides a valuable service to qualifying Morgan County taxpayers to help them keep more of the income they’ve earned, while also allowing you as professionals to earn CE credits!
This volunteer program is known as Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), or Indy Free Tax Prep. United Way of Central Indiana and the Internal Revenue Service are partnering again this year to bring the VITA program back to Morgan County. VITA offers free tax preparation for those qualifying with a household income of $64,000 or less. The program will offer online and in-person tax filing services in Mooresville and Martinsville again this tax season.
The IRS and United Way has committed to expand the program this year with the goal to offer additional taxpayers the ability to take advantage of this free tax preparation service. Local Morgan County resident, Jen Nuckles Stafford, has been hired as a Site Coordinator to help further this work.
Volunteers from several area businesses, including BMO Harris Bank, Citizens Bank, and South Central Indiana REMC, are working to complete their online certifications and training. United Way is searching for additional volunteers from the business community to become tax preparers or greeters for VITA so that more taxpayers may be served.
Qualified volunteers should possess the following skills and certifications:
- strong computer skills
- attention to detail
- customer service skills
- successfully complete training and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) certification (training completed online by January 19, 2017)
- attend a volunteer training meeting on Thursday, January 19, 2017 from 5-7:30 at Ivy Tech Mooresville campus, 204 Southbridge Street, Mooresville
The following volunteer opportunities are available:
- Tax Preparer: Prepares tax returns based on certification level obtained through the IRS training modules. VITA will provide the resources and materials needed to complete both online and in-person training. The online portion of the training can be completed at the volunteer’s pace online by January 19, 2017.
- Quality Reviewer: Ensures on-site quality review is performed on every completed return prior to printing and returning a copy to the assistor/assembler or taxpayer(s). Serves as a back-up to tax preparers and prepares tax returns when needed. Assists the site coordinator in answering tax-related questions during service hours.
- Greeter: Greets clients as they arrive and ensures that clients have all required documents. Greeters will need to complete a brief online IRS ethics training.